Book Your CBT Test Online

You can now book your CBT course online with ACE Motorcycle Training

The CBT is a legal requirement and must be completed by virtually anyone who wants to ride a moped or motorcycle on the road and forms the first part of the process for those going on to a Full licence course.

This course is normally completed in one day though further training is sometimes required to ensure your safety and so that you can enjoy your riding to the full.

The CBT is a legal requirement and must be completed by virtually anyone who wants to ride a moped or motorcycle on the road and forms the first part of the process for those going on to a Full licence course.
ACE Motorcycle Training Bristol

The course consists of 5 elements

Element A: Discussion and advice on safety clothing
Element B: Bike controls and basic maintenance tips
Element C: Learning to ride in a safe off road area
Element D: Pre-road briefing including Highway Code
Element E: A two hour road ride accompanied by your instructor

Once completed you will be issued with a CBT certificate which will be valid for 2 years before it will need to be renewed. You do not need any previous experience. Nor do you need any safety clothing or bike as we can supply all of this for you.

We understand that for some, this first step into motorcycling can seem a bit daunting. If you are at all nervous about this then please discuss this with us at time of booking.  We also offer CBT’s just for female students.

To do the CBT training in Bristol, you will need to have the photo card of your UK Driving Licence or provisional, be able to read a car number plate from 20 meters and read the Highway Code before the course so that you have a basic knowledge of road signs and markings etc. You do not need any safety clothing as we can provide you with this but we do ask that you MUST wear un-ripped denim jeans and sensible footwear (please contact us if you are unsure). If you have your own helmet and kit then please bring this with you.

For any enquiries and booking, please call the ACE Motorcycle Training team a call on 01179 863 330 today!

CBT Course FAQs

As there are many elements to achieving a pass on a CBT Motorcycle test, it’s only natural to have some questions you’d like answered in advance. Our FAQs will give you a good insight and guidance into the different areas to achieve a license.

Why do I need a CBT Motorcycle licence?

To legally drive a moped or motorcycle on the road you’ll need to carry out a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course before you’re allowed to drive. It ensures that you can ride independently and safely.

What requirements are there to get a licence?

You need to be aged 16 or over to get a licence.

How do I book a course?

Booking a course is easy and can be done directly with a motorcycle training school such as ACE Motorcycles.

How far in advance do I need to book?

The earlier the better as CBT courses are popular and there are only a select amount of spaces available. It’s best to get one booked as soon as you’ve decided to get a licence.

What to expect during a CBT Motorcycle Licence course?

There are several elements to the course such as learning the basics of handling a motorcycle and its controls. How to ride safely with braking, observations, clutch control, manoeuvres and gear changing, in a controlled environment off-road. You’ll learn road riding theory and practical road riding through a variety of environments led by your instructor.

If I have an EU licence, is there anything additional I need to do?

In this instance, it’s a requirement to complete a D91 form from the government to get a UK counterpart licence number.

How much does a CBT Motorcycle licence cost?

Depending on where you do the training and if you bring your own motorcycle or moped, will determine the price set by the training school.

What kind of bike can I ride following the course?

Once you have completed the course you’ll be able to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with a limit of 11Kw of power if you’re aged 17 and over. If you’re 16 years old then you can only ride a motorcycle or scooter up to 50cc, at a limit of 28Mph. You must however display L plates at all ages.

Can you fail the test?

As it is a course, it’s an opportunity to improve your skills and learn from an experienced and qualified trainer. Therefore it is not a pass or fail scenario which can be a common misunderstanding. Instead, you need to complete the five elements as part of the course to gain the certificate.

Are there times you don’t have to carry out a CBT course?

Yes there are. If you want to ride a moped up to 50cc and have already passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001, then it isn’t necessary to do the course. Also, if you passed a moped test since 1 December 1990 then you’re allowed to ride a motorcycle, as well as if you have a full motorcycle licence but want to upgrade your current category. Finally, if you live and ride on a select number of offshore islands or want to ride a trail e-scooter, then you’ll be exempt.

Book your ACE Motorcycles CBT Course now